Assessment item 3
Project Proposal and Plan
Due Date: 23-Mar-2019
Return Date: 12-Apr-2019
Length: 1000-2000 words (5-6 pages)
Submission method options: Alternative submission method
WHAT TO DO:
- Follow the Study Schedule and work with the Topics in Interact as they provide a “scaffold” for your learning in this subject.
- Develop a detailed Capstone Project Proposal and Plan using project management software (as listed in the Study Schedule) and the skills you have acquired from IT Project Management to develop a project plan with a Work Breakdown Structure (WBS), milestones and Gantt chart. These tools may help.
- Begin using the ‘project blog‘ as a tool beyond the weekly progress reports for your chosen emerging technology topic:
- The blog helps you to “think by writing” and also store your notes, project files and links in a cloud-based service.
- Consider sharing the site with your peers as a way to tell a story and harness each others knowledge.
- The blog is ideally updated each week with 3 or 4 entries for documenting your project notes and as the foundation for editing and writing the Capstone Project Report. An ideal blog entry will have around 50-150 words (150-600 words a week).
This assessment task will assess the following learning outcome/s:
- be able to interpret and evaluate an overview of recent trends in emerging technologies and innovation.
- be able to perform literature searches and critically analyse the literature in the chosen topic.
The Capstone Topic Project Plan allows for a broad range of project areas like systems administration, database systems, IT security, mobile technology etc. Often the project has a sponsor and is linked to your interest or workplace needs. The proposal has a research component (Assessment Item 3 Annotated Bibliography) so in some cases you may need to find a supervisor willing to accept you as a candidate.
The Learning Outcomes being assessed in this item include how you interpret and evaluate an overview of recent trends in emerging technologies and innovation and begin to plan, execute, record and present your research and project work as a capstone experience.
Your Capstone Project Proposal and Plan will be evaluated with a series of questions that you can use as a Checklist:
- Is the capstone topic area appropriate?
- Has the Project Blog been setup?
- Has there been sufficient justification of the choice of the topic?
- Is there enough scope for a sufficiently deep/complex analysis?
- Is the scope appropriate for what might be reasonably expected in the capstone project subject?
- Is the methodology proposed clear?
- Are the deliverables clearly set out?
- Are the deliverables sufficiently complex to justify a pass in this activity?
- Is it likely that the proposed activities can be reasonably carried out?
- Is it likely that the student will have access to the necessary resources to do a satisfactory job?
- Is the time line proposed realistic?
Marking criteria and standards
Capstone Project Proposal and Plan Assessment Criteria 10% (100 marks)
Project Plan Sample Format
(subject to change or modified to include systems development projects)
- Title: Emerging Technology and Innovation Topic
- Project Blog ( Web address provided)
- Weekly Progress Reports Plan (In class, Discussion Board or Project Blog entries)
- Problem domain
- Purpose and justification
- Supervisor Approval
- Research Questions
- Conceptual or Theoretical Framework
- Analysis of sources of information (EndNote, APA Referencing Style)
- Research method(s)
- Data collection or systems design methods
- Ethical Issues
- Compliance Requirements (Workplace, Industry or Government regulations)
- Project Plan
- Deliverables (Annotated Bibliography, Journal Paper and Poster Presentation.)
- Work breakdown structure (WBS)
- Risk Analysis
- Gantt chart
- Appendix (if required)