COIT20261 Network Routing and Switching (Term 3, 2018)
AssignmentItem —Written Assessment-1
This assessment task requires you to demonstrate your knowledge of basic routing concepts by completing a number of exercise questions. The questions contain numerical as well as descriptive questions covering the material up to Week 6.
The questions are designed to help you to achieve the unit learning outcomes as listed in the unit profile.
You must do this assignment on your own – it is not a group assignment.
Type all your answers in the ‘Template for Your Answers’ Section of this document and upload only that template. You could do that by copying the Template section into a new Word document for uploading. Answers that are not typed into the “Template for Your Answers” section may not be marked, or may be returned to you for re-typing and re-submission – late penalties will apply.
Where instructed, you must show the steps you took to arrive at your answers. Write your answers in your own words to avoid potential plagiarism and copyright violations.
You must submit the Answer section as a Word file (.doc or .docx).Do not submit PDF’s or any other type of file without express permission from the Unit Coordinator.
Plagiarism Procedures can be found in the CQUniversity Policies section of the Unit Profile.
Assessment Requirements and Marking Criteria
There are 3 main questions with some sub-questions and the requirements are stated for each one. You must answer all questions and sub-questions. Marks are indicated in the Answer Template.
The questions will be marked on correctness, logic and clarity, and addressing all parts of the question.
The Assignment Questions begin on the next page.
USE THE PROVIDED TEMPLATE ON PAGE-4 FOR ALL YOUR ANSWERS.
Question 1 – Address usage (3 marks)
Consider the following classless address in a given block:
Calculate the following:
- the network address,
- the direct broadcast address, and
- the range of addresses available for hosts
Show the steps you took to arrive at your answers.
Question 2– Allocating subnets from a block (8 marks)
A company has been granted a block of addresses which includes the address 18.104.22.168/22. Answer the following questions, showing your calculations.
- Calculate the network address of this block, and total addresses the block contains including special addresses this block can provide. (1 mark)
- Create the following 4 subnets for this company by calculating the subnet address for each subnet. Answer this question by filling in the table in the Answer template. Your subnets must use contiguous address blocks, i.e., do not leave unallocated addresses in between two consecutive subnets. Use CIDR format for the mask. (6 marks)
- 1 subnet with 128 addresses (1.5 mark)
- 1 subnet with 64 addresses (1.5 mark)
- 2 subnets with 32 addresses each (1.5*2=3 marks)
- After allocating the subnets, how many addresses are unallocated (leftover)? Show your calculations. (1 mark)
Question 3 – Network Tools (Windows) (4 marks)
This part of the assignment requires you to explore some common networking tools, and answer the given questions.netstat and tracert are included in Windows, while Wireshark is free to download and install. Explore these tools, then answerthe questions.
- A Wireshark scan has produced a packet capture, saved to a file named pcap and available on the Unit website. Download the file and open it in Wireshark, then answer these questions about the scan:
- View Frame 98, and answer the following questions: What kind of message is the frame carrying (protocol name/type).What is the destination host’s domain name? (1 mark)
- View Frame 644, and answer the following questions: Which transport layer protocol was used? Scan a few more frames down: what general activity was the user most likely engaged in? – give reasons (1 mark)
- A ‘NETSTAT –aon’ command has given the output as shown below. Focussing on line 2 and 8 (highlighted), determine and write down the name or type of the application that is running over these two connections. What are the major differences between these two TCP connections or applications? (1 mark)
Proto Local Address Foreign Address State PID
1 TCP 22.214.171.124:8457 126.96.36.199:443 ESTABLISHED 8044
2 TCP 188.8.131.52:8479 184.108.40.206:443 ESTABLISHED 10708
3 TCP 220.127.116.11:8560 18.104.22.168:443 ESTABLISHED 8044
4 TCP 22.214.171.124:8573 126.96.36.199:61158 ESTABLISHED 2464
5 TCP 188.8.131.52:8574 184.108.40.206:61158 ESTABLISHED 2464
6 TCP 220.127.116.11:8588 18.104.22.168:443 TIME_WAIT 0
7 TCP 22.214.171.124:8598 126.96.36.199:443 ESTABLISHED 15988
8 TCP 188.8.131.52:8605 184.108.40.206:80 ESTABLISHED 7460
- Do a TRACERT on your computer to bom.gov.au. Paste the output of your tracert command to your assignment answer template and discuss the output in sufficient details to demonstrate your understanding of the information being displayed by the tracert command.In your discussion, you must include specific information displayed on the output, e.g., host address, etc., that you have pasted in the assignment. (1 mark)
TEMPLATE FOR YOUR ANSWERS
Type your answers in this section in the spaces provided
First Name:_________________________ Last Name:____________________________
Student ID: __________________________
|Question 1: (3 marks)||3|
|1 mark each item, total 3
|Question 2: (8 marks)||8|
|Question 3: (4 marks)||4|
|1 mark each item, total 2 for 3a.|